The Prozac Is Working

2402487457_f37fd34c5dI mentioned in a previous post that my psychiatrist put me on 20 mg of Prozac, not for my mood disorder, but for perimenopause, which I’m going through. It can mess with my hormones and, in turn, mess up the mood disorder I already have. In my case, I felt more depressed.

It’s been almost 4 weeks since I’ve been taking it, and it’s helping. After about 2 weeks, I noticed that my mood, which has been low all summer, has reached or very nearly reached baseline. I don’t feel miserable all the time, and in fact, feel pretty good. It hasn’t helped my energy so much — I still sometimes struggle with getting up and showering, but at least my mood has improved. It hasn’t helped with my anxiety, though.

Anyway, I believe Prozac and meditation helped get me through a historically bad period of time for me this year. Every year, going back to 2014, I’ve had a depressive episode that required ECT from the end of October through November. At the same time every year. (I chronicle last year’s episode in my Throwback Thursday posts.) Thanks to the On This Day feature on Facebook, I have a picture of myself pre- and post-ECT from the same time period in 2015, so I know I went through the treatment then. On This Day also revealed that my last hospitalization for a severe depressive episode was on October 31, 2014. While there, I had ECT. I came home on November 7 and continued ECT on an outpatient basis.

I can’t tell you how happy I am that I got through those dates just fine this year. The week of October 30th was stressful because I had 8 different appointments that week:

  1. a medical procedure
  2. physical therapy
  3. the periodontist
  4. ECT Doctor 1 (which I’ll post about in the future)
  5. my primary care physician (my thyroid levels are fine — see post linked above)
  6. therapy
  7. physical therapy (I go twice a week)
  8. a haircut

Three of the the appointments were on the same day, which was on Thursday!

On Friday, we took a 4-hour road trip to Iowa City because we had tickets to the Ohio State football game (we got smoked by Iowa). We also met up with my in-laws, which made the trip worth it. On Sunday morning, we drove home.

Then on Monday, November 6, I lost my wedding ring! I have no idea where, and I only noticed it after I had walked to physical therapy. We turned our place upside-down looking for it, but didn’t find it. A friend pointed out that it doesn’t make my marriage mean any less, which I realize, but I feel literally exposed without it securely on my finger.

I’m amazed that from October 31 – November 7, 2014, I was hospitalized and went through ECT, and went through it again during the same period in 2015 and 2016. But from October 30 – November 6, 2017, I had a very busy and stressful week. And I got through it. I did take a mental health day last Thursday because I felt that the stress was catching up to me. I needed the rest. I’m also concerned that my misery over losing my ring might spiral into a depressive episode. Winter’s barely begun.

Photo credit: ohmgeez via Visualhunt / CC BY-NC-ND

Comments are closed.

Powered by

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: