Happy Monday! The Non-Alcoholic Student was kind enough to nominate me for a Sunshine Blogger Award. It came at a good time, because it sure is gray here in Chicago today! I can certainly use the sunshine! 😀 Please visit his blog — he’s a college student (or in uni, as they say elsewhere!) who doesn’t drink, and is navigating his way through student life where the predominant extracurricular activity is partying. He’s doing a great job, so please check out his journey!
I’ve decided to do a mashup of both awards by answering both sets of questions in this post. I’m also nominating the same blogs for both awards. Oh, and using the same questions for the Sunshine and Liebster Awards! Nominees will be listed at the end of the post!
Here are the rules for the Sunshine Blogger Award:
1. Thank blogger(s) who nominated you for the blog post and link back to their blog.
2. Answer the 11 questions the blogger asked you.
3. Nominate 11 new blogs to receive the award and write them 11 new questions.
4. List the rules and display the Sunshine Blogger Award logo in your post and/or on your blog.
So, here are my answers:
- What do you like most about blogging?
I used to post only 3x/week, but in 2018 I started blogging daily. Writing every day improves my writing overall, and hopefully reaches more readers in order to defeat the stigma against mental illness.
- If you got 1,000,000 followers tomorrow, how would you celebrate?
I’d certainly write a celebratory post thanking all of my readers. Then I’d probably go to the bakery for a slice of cake!
- How do you wind down after a busy day? (I genuinely need tips on this one as I actually cannot do this!)
I watch Chopped reruns, even though I don’t cook. But I love competitive cooking shows!
- Twitter, Facebook, Instagram or Snapchat?
Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter in that order. I don’t do Snapchat.
- Happiest moment in life thus far?
Every morning that I wake up, depressed or not, is a happy moment because I’m alive.
- Most embarrassing moment thus far?
I can’t think of the most embarrassing moment, but I do remember a funny and embarrassing moment: I played softball on a recreational team one summer. It’s like baseball, but with a larger and softer ball. I played first base, and a runner was circling me. My teammates yelled at me to tag him “out,” but he was like a bee buzzing around a flower. I didn’t realize that I had to hold the ball and tag him with my hands, so I threw it at him — and hit my mark!
- What’s your favourite quote?
“Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.” — by Irish writer, Samuel Beckett.
- What’s one book you think everyone must read?
Wide Sargasso Sea, by Jean Rhys. It tells the story of Charlotte Brontë’s Jane Eyre from the point of view of the “madwoman in the attic,” which I feel gives a voice to a mentally ill character.
- If you could have three people round for dinner, real or fictional, who would they be and why?
Actress and writer Carrie Fisher (yes, I realize she’s deceased), because she was outspoken about having bipolar disorder and her ECT treatments; actress Glenn Close, for founding the nonprofit organization BringChange2Mind in order to end the stigma against mental illness; and anyone who has a mental illness but is ashamed of it, who, by meeting these women, will hopefully learn there’s nothing to be ashamed of.
- What is your biggest dream in life?
To publish a collection of short stories.
- How are you going to achieve it? (There’s no point in having a dream if you don’t have a plan!)
By working on my fiction writing every day.
Here are the rules for the Liebster Award:
- Thank the person who nominated you, and put a link to their blog on your blog
- Display the award on your blog
- Nominate 5 – 11 blogs that you feel would enjoy blogging about this award the award.
- Answer the questions provided.
- Make a new set of 10 questions for your nominees to answer.
- List these rules in your post
- Inform the people/blogs that you nominated.
Here are my answers to Ali’s questions:
- What Inspired you to write your first piece
Because most of my posts describe my experience with mental illness, I felt that readers should know about my first hospitalization.
- The most amazing story you ever heard
To me, any stories about previously abused or deserted animals being rescued and adopted into loving homes are amazing.
- Your Favorite Book
Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys (see my answer to #8 above for details).
- The Country you would like to visit once in your life
England, probably because I majored in English literature in college lol!
- Any Life Changing Experience?
Being diagnosed with a mental illness.
- The most famous Folklore of place you are currently living in?
I don’t know if this is the most famous, but it’s pretty famous: that the Great Chicago Fire of 1871 was caused by Mrs. O’Leary’s cow kicking over a kerosene lantern left in the barn. I don’t think anyone really knows what caused it, but this is the “story.”
- If you could, What would be the one thing of your personality you would alter?
The way I see myself — I want to improve it so that I see myself in a more positive light.
- Future Apocalypse, Zombies or Robots…What would you prefer and why?
Definitely robots. They have the potential to be friendly, unlike zombies.
- If you could, What would be the one historical event that you would later (alter?) and why?
- What movie character describes you the best?
Princess Leia! (I’m a huge Star Wars fan!)
And now . . . my questions for both the Sunshine Blogger and Liebster 2018 Awards:
- What inspires you to blog?
- What do you do when you aren’t blogging?
- Have you ever taken a creative writing class/workshop in person or online? (I post some of these opportunities on my Twitter feed in the sidebar!)
- Which do you prefer to write: fiction, poetry, both, neither? How come?
- Who is your favorite writer, and why?
- Who is your hero/heroine (real or fictional), and why?
- Do you drink alcohol?
- Do you like to eat at restaurants?
- Do you eat meat, or are you a vegetarian or vegan?
- What is your favorite dessert?
- Do you like to cook?
And here are my nominees (in no particular order):
- Beckie’s Mental Mess
- Revenge of Eve
- Stoner on a Roller Coaster
- This Girl’s Got Curves
- Therapy Bits
- My Loud Bipolar Whispers
- Butterflies and Bipolar
- My Life with PTSD & Bipolar
- Braving Mental Illness
- Rant and Reason
- Be Your Own Light: A Mental Health Recovery Blog
Congratulations to all of my nominees and I can’t wait to read your responses! I understand that these nominations can be overwhelming, so feel free not to write a post. But if you do write one (or two if you want to write one for each award), please leave me a comment or pingback that you’ve posted, or you can also use my Contact form to let me know. That way, I can visit your blog and read your answers!