. . . and you should definitely check out her blog, especially if you want to know why she calls it orange walls! Recently she blogged about various mood tracker apps, which is certainly worth a read.
Sunshine Blogger Award Rules:
The Sunshine Blogger award is given by bloggers to bloggers who inspire positivity and creativity in the blogging community.
The rules are:
- Thank blogger(s) who nominated you for a blog post and link back to their blog.
- Answer the 11 questions the blogger asked you.
- Nominate up to 11 new blogs to receive the award and write them 11 new questions.
- List the rules and display the Sunshine Blogger Award logo in your post and/or on your blog.
Here are orange wall’s questions:
- What/who inspires you to blog?
The public. My hope is that my blog contributes to the battle against stigma towards mental illness.
- What are your favourite self-care tips and tricks?
When I’m depressed, I couldn’t care less about my appearance, in terms of how I dress. But I always keep my weekly salon appointments for various services such as a haircut/color, mani/pedi, and facials. Feeling pampered once a week is important to me and a big part of my self-care. Also, I’ve been going to the same salon for over 10 years and know the staff (who knows about my bipolar), so I get some socialization by going there.
- Where do you see your blog in 5 years?
I just hope I’m still blogging in 5 years! I have a tendency to lose interest in some things I begin because of depression, but I hope this blog isn’t one of them.
- What is the hardest part of your illness(es)?
Bipolar depression, for sure — I don’t often have hypomanic symptoms. I’ll feel okay for 1 or 2 months, but then, as my psychiatrist puts it, I “hit a wall” and enter another depressive cycle.
- What thing(s) can you celebrate about yourself?
My resilience and strength with regard to my bipolar.
- Do you have any hobbies? If not, what hobbies can you see yourself doing and why?
I crochet, I recently learned that I like to work on jigsaw puzzles. I’m planning to take a knitting class in a couple of months, and I’m hoping to be able to take martial arts classes again. I’d also like to play hockey again. The last 2 depend on the tendinitis in my hip.
- Where do you blog/write (i.e at a desk, in the kitchen…) and why?
Usually at my desk in our home office, because that’s the most comfortable. Sometimes, like if I’m depressed or feeling lazy, I blog on a TV tray while sitting on the sofa in the living room. On weekends, my husband and I like to go to coffee shops, so I’ll blog from there.
- What kinds of tips can you give to someone who has recently been diagnosed?
Educate yourself about your illness and medication(s). Mental illness can be managed, but often it takes time to get the right combination of meds that work well. Be patient with your healthcare team, and stay in communication with them.
- What is your favourite season and why?
I have a love/hate relationship with autumn. I love that the weather finally gets cooler, and the different colors the leaves change into are beautiful. However, it’s usually the time of year that I’m most vulnerable to falling into a depressive episode.
- What keeps you blogging when barriers exist?
The only barriers I can think of is my bipolar depression. Writing is therapeutic for me, and I’d also like readers to know what I go through when I’m in a depressive or hypomanic episode, so they get an idea of what it’s like, at least for me. So even if I’m depressed, I force myself to post daily.
- If you have 1 thing to say to your readers to inspire them, what would it be?
Love yourself the way you are! <3
And here are the nominees!!
Because I’m too lazy to come up with 11 new questions, I’m going to recycle orange walls’ questions lol!