The parol is to Filipinos as the Christmas tree is to westerners. However, most Filipino Americans put up a Christmas tree, too. Although we had a Christmas tree, my family never had a parol— a star-shaped lantern — when I was growing up, so a few years ago, I decided to get one. But the only one I found online was a do-it-yourself kit that included strips of wood instead of the traditionally used bamboo, and thin, colored paper.
My husband put it together because I’m not particularly crafty or handy. I would have just made a mess of things! Parols usually have a light source, like a candle, inside them so they light up like a lantern. We decided to skip the candles because we considered them, in close proximity to paper, a fire hazard. Little did we know that it was also a dog hazard.
At the end of the Christmas season, we packed up all the decorations and set them in the dining room until the next time we went to our storage space. Before we had a chance to store them, Rudy destroyed the parol! This was before he was crate-trained, so when we went out, he had the run of the house. On a previous occasion he chewed up one of my shoes, which prompted us to crate train him. (Now he goes into the crate on his own when my husband and I are getting ready to leave.) Our cats weren’t guilty because the damage was too great for a cat to have done. Or in our case, 2 cats. It was obvious that the dog did this. Case closed.
Have your fur babies ever destroyed anything while you were out?