*** Trigger Warning ***
On her blog, Beckie of Beckie’s Mental Mess has introduced a set of prompts that touches on mental illness. Each week she offers up 2 prompts for bloggers to use in a nonfiction, fiction, or poetry piece. You can respond to either prompt, or both. For more information, click here. This week, I am responding to Prompt 1.
Week #7 (Delicate Topic) – Suicide Ideation
Prompt #1 Questions
I am glad that Beckie chose “suicide” as this week’s topic. We need to talk about it instead of being silent.
- Have you ever experienced suicidal thoughts? Many, many times.
- Have you ever attempted suicide? A number of times.
- Were you ever hospitalized for a suicidal attempt and/or ideation? Several times.
- When you were hospitalized, what was your experience like? I’ve been hospitalized numerous times at different hospitals, so my experience is varied. I don’t think I’ve ever stayed at a truly frightening psych ward. All but one were bad, but at least they weren’t worse, which I’m certain some places are. And then there’s my psych unit “of choice,” in which you were allowed a number of personal freedoms. And you got your own room.
- Do you ever feel suicidal ideation since your release? Yes, I have, but I haven’t acted on it. Although medication is readily available to me, my husband has hidden all of our knives and razors.